RE: Engine Assembly Lube

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Assembly Lube
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:08:04 -0700
555 words and 3274 characters got caught be the Digest filter.
Here's the first half:
Here's my favorites for vintage engines (don't know what may be different for
bike or post 1970 auto technology):

1. Crank, mains, rods valve train except lobe-lifter surfaces, oil pump
internals, other misc surfaces I use a 40 or 50 weight engine oil.  If I have
to use 10W something I add enough plain STP to raise it's viscosity so it
feels to the hand like 50 weight (5,000-10,000 SSU or 1000 to 2000 CP at room
temperature 70-80 deg F)

2. Cam lobes/lifters I use a high grade molydisulfide grease (not the stuff
they sell for chassis lube) like Molycoat or a mix I make up of white
lubriplate with enough molydisulfide powder in it to approximate an NLGI #3
grease thickness (most chassis lubes are NLGI #2).  I also like this stuff on
highly loaded slow moving steel on steel surfaces such as found in clutch and
brake systems of antique cars.

3.  For pistons and rings I use whatever the ring manufacturer recommends or
the engine oil I plan to use if no other recommendations are available.

4.  On gaskets where disassembly is expected, especially exhaust system stuff
I use Neversieze grease or similar products unless it is a gasket prone to
leakage like an oil pan gasket.  There I tend toward a higher quality non
hardening sealer.  I haven't yet developed any one favorite though I kind of
like the smell of old fashioned permatex on my street flatheads.

Ed Weldon