Re: Vacuum Pumps, etc..

To: "drmayf" <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "LSR" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Pumps, etc..
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:07:59 -0700
Mayf and all--
Lots of "he said, she said" stuff has flown around on this subject; but not
much in the way of verifiable and credible numbers.  I think the best most
of us can do is listen to the wisdom of the subculture and go from there.
I'll go dry sump as soon as I think the benefits outweigh the costs.
Perhaps my decision making process will weigh a little more heavily on the
numbers.  But that's just the critical thinking engineer in me.  That
approach isn't necessarily for everyone. I do have a lot of respect for the
wisdom out there............
On horsepower figures I doubt that the pump makers have a lot of good data
on horsepower gains.  They probably have rating curves on the pumps. This
info can be developed from classic texts on the subject and some test data
to verify the calculations.  They also likely will share glowing
testimonials from a few customers that were willing to share their dyno
data.  I'd approach this latter stuff with the critical eye you use on most
advertising.
Hmmm...67 ft/second.  That's 45mph.  Stick your hand out the car window in a
good rainstorm at 45 mph..................Yup, I know; you'll get soaked in
the name of science.....
Anyone interested in how to interpret a rating or test curve on a gear pump
and adjust it to fit a different set of conditions like rpm, oil viscosity,
specific gravity and pressure.........Be glad to tell you what I can.
Ed Weldon