Re: 130 MPH Club hopeful

To: terry.woolbert@verizon.net
Subject: Re: 130 MPH Club hopeful
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:52:07 EST
In a message dated 12/14/2006 4:04:09 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
terry.woolbert@verizon.net writes:

Hi,
I  found out about this club and have decided I want to give it a try.
My plan  is to do this on a motorcycle (sportbike).  I have never raced
on salt  or dry lake beds before, so I am wondering if anyone can offer
advice about  running a motorcycle at Bonneville?

Ride safe and may the wind always  be in your face!!!
Terry Woolbert

Hi Terry

I didn't ride a bike at Bonneville but my first experience in a car this
year at 223 mph was the salt is VERY slippery and unpredictable. There are
ruts,
soft spots and big divots where bikes or cars have biffed and endoed.

There is no similarity to driving on asphalt, unless it had ice, snow  or
rain on it.

I would liken it to driving on very cold hard packed snow. You have control
until you cross that very thin line of traction and slipping.

You must feed the throttle slowly and accelerate as hard as you can without
breaking traction.

Going fast isn't necessarily having the maximum power, it's getting the
power to the salt. In your case put Motocross tires on the bike!  KIDDING!!!!

Good luck

Otto

P.S. I prefer the wind in my back instead of in the face! Bugs don't  hit as
hard! I had a June bug a hit me in the face at a hundred and it almost
knocked me off the bike!