Surprising study results about synthetic oil...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Surprising study results about synthetic oil...
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:37:29 EST
bEngine wear actually  decreases as oil ages. This has also been
substantiated in testing conducted by  Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and
reported in
SAE Technical Paper  2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil
changers are actually  causing more engine wear than the people who let their
engine's oil get some age  on it.b
bBased on  the results we've got here, we'd recommend 8,000 miles between
oil
changes on an  engine that uses no oil at all, perhaps 10,000 miles on an
engine that uses some  oil, and 15,000 miles or beyond with a filter change
every
5,000 miles. This, of  course, isn't any kind of guarantee, and you must
evaluate for yourself what  your engine requires. One thing we're pretty sure
about though: 3,000-mile  intervals is a huge waste of resources.b
Interesting! Now I don't feel so bad when I let my  oil changes go a little
long! I'm on my third season with the Lakesters Mobil  1.
Otto
_http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html_
(http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html)