Draft of proposal for LSR at White Sands Missile Range

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Draft of proposal for LSR at White Sands Missile Range
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:24:12 EST
Brigadier General Malcome Johanson
Director
US Army White Sands Missile Range
CSTE-DTC-WS-BD
WSMR, NM 88002

RE. Land Speed Racing at WSMR

Dear Malcome,

It was great rapping with you on the phone today. As per your  stuffy
protocol, I'm providing a written request for the proposal for use of the  WSMR
for
racing purposes. Land Speed racing started in the late 40's. What  was left of
our valiant, dedicated troops were returning from the  battle fields of WWII
and our boys needed a place to burn off some  steam in their cars. They chose
the safety of the dry lakes of southern  California as opposed to the reckless
Hot Rodders who terrorized the streets.  This racing has continued at El
Mirage in CA, and the Bonneville Salt Flats in  Utah. Racing was also conducted
at
Muroc CA. on the Edwards Air Force Base  up until 2000 when a mandate came
from Washington banning private use of Federal  Airfields. Also spin-off
organizations have popped up in Maxton NC and Goliad TX  where racing is safely
conducted at Air Fields. They even conduct open road  land speed racing on
public
highways in Nebraska, Texas and Nevada. With the  expansion in the sport, land
speed racers are always looking for addition venues  to conduct our racing.
WSMR has a hard packed Gypsum surface on the runways that  is ideally suited
for
conducting Land Speed Racing. Events would be  conducted twice a year, spring
and fall for a duration of three days each  over a weekend. Technical
inspection and pit setup occurs on Friday so the  runways would only be needed
on
Saturday and Sunday.

Consider this Malc, you guys skimmed through the last Military Cutback by
the skin of your teeth. How can you justify this 3200 Sq mile facility if you
have no traffic on the four runways. Some of our Lakesters and Streamliners
have  silhouettes like airplanes including vertical fins! I'm sure you could
take pictures of them going down the runway and digitally add wings so you have

something to show the Pentagon the next time cutbacks come around. We can work
 together to save the base, and your job!

What do you think Dude? Are we in???

Otto