Coolant Tank in Front Seat Area .......

To: drmayf@mayfco.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Coolant Tank in Front Seat Area .......
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:42:48 EST
Hi Larry !   I remember you visited our pit area at  Speedweek 2000, and you
spent quite a bit of time looking over our Black Radon  Engineering 939 blown
fuel altered, and then giving it a big thumbs-up.  Do  you recall we had
mounted a sizeable aluminum tank that Doug had welded up to  cool the tranny
fluid
in the front passenger seat area ?  Before every run  we would dump in about 8
or 9 bags of crushed ice which did transfer a  lot of heat from the fluid
passing through the coiled aluminum tubing inside.  This was done on the
recommendation of the guy who sold the boys all the  hi-po transmission parts
they
utilized ..... he said keeping the trans fluid  from getting too hot was
crucial
to long life in racing applications.  Much  of the ice was gone after each run
but the water was never even warm  enough to be a hazard in the cockpit .
Bottom line was it worked very  well for us. Good luck on your Speedy Sunbeam
and remember that sometimes trial  and error can get you to the same point as
many lengthy calculations ....... but  then you rocketeers live by and love all
of those math hassles   ~  LOL !     Bruce back here in Still Snowless
Connecticut