Bonneville Racing News Article on You ~ ( Glen Barrett, that

To: speedtimer@charter.net, speedtimer@beyondbb.com,
Subject: Bonneville Racing News Article on You ~ ( Glen Barrett, that
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:02:00 EST
Hi Glen !  Thanks for reminding me to read your article last  night .....
like so many things nowadays, I got so involved chatting online with  you &
Glen
F. about the Chrismans, the drags at Lions, and  yesteryear LA, etc, that I
totally FORGOT that the newly-arrived BRN was  sitting right by my chair just
WAITING to be READ  ..... Hell-to-grow-old, etc !  The article was really
terrific  !!!  You gave Bill H. much good input, and he, in his usual fine
style,
crafted an excellent treatise on some of your drag racing  history, and the era
that allowed it all to take place.  I am now  eager to read, as Paul Harvey
says, "the rest of the story !"  We truly  were lucky to have been in and
around the 50s / 60s golden era of drag  racing, and I often wish that I had
gotten
to some of the dry lakes  meets in the late '40s, early '50s, and also had
visited Bonneville at  least three decades before I did so; my first visit was
in 1987. Darrell  and I also managed to attend one El Mirage meet, in the late
'90s, as  best I can recall without checking my notes.  I was quite fortunate
to  see Doug 'Cookie' Cook there, and I had a great chat with him  about
earlier-days draggin' and the 'gasser wars'.
Once again ..... a Big Thank-You to both the storyteller, and the writer,
for this wonderful rear view-look at the sport / hobby / lifestyle that so
captured the hearts & imagination of so many of us in those heady years  !!!
What Marvelous Memories were created in those years  ..... and we now strive to
retain !!!    ~   Bruce, way back here in too-cool Connecticut, where it
snowed briefly this morn   ~
PS :  Now that I saw your actual DOB,  I CAN continue to  call you an OLD
buzzard / reprobate / whatever ...... You are exactly 5 mos  &  5 days older
than
I !!!