OT - Electronics and Computer Questions...hit delete now...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: OT - Electronics and Computer Questions...hit delete now...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:51:00 -0800
Ok, I have a small project ratling around in my head. I ran across a
technical article on how to convert a Delorme Tripmate (and others) GPS
sensor into a device that coul dbe carried around in a back pack logging
the data and storing it for later retrieval via the home based PC or
laptop. It was rewired internally to turn on with power up and to
acquire the sats and automatically start logging. Now this is certaily
available in hand held units, but the sensor are available via auction
on ebay for about 20 bucks or so. What got my interest was that one of
the words in the data stream was speed (of course in some arcane speed
like knots). What I would like to do is to build a small BAsic Stamp
computer which lives with the gps sensor, is powered up at the same time
but instead of  internally logging the data, write the info to a USB
flash drive. Then I could remove the flash drive and attach it to my
laptop or pc and download the info to have a bit by biot speed increment
for the whole race adventure, Since the coordinates are also given I
could have a mile by mile by speed chart in excel to view at my
pleasure. Additionally if the Basic SStamp is not overloaded by the
amount of code needed, I would like to output the speed signal to some
sort of red out which coul dbe remotrely placed on my dash. No, I am not
looking tomake money on this, but maybe could pay a buck or two for some
help although gratis would be welcome. When working, I woould make the
schematics available to anyone who would like to build one on my web site.

So, are there any of you smart electronics and computer literate folk
out there? Shoot me a note if this sounds interesting to you and you
migh tbe interested enough to help.  Off list please...

for the tweecer guys here is my email   drmayf@mayfco.com

Many thanks

mayf way off and maybe really far out in pahrump...