Coke-bottle shapes, etc.

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coke-bottle shapes, etc.
From: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:29:00 -0600
    Tom Sarda, John Burk, and List -

    The coke-bottle shape of supersonic aircraft results from a design concept
referred to as "The Area Rule" which implies that as a certain size frontal
area approaches Mach 1 the hole it punches gets larger than the actual frontal
area size. The coke-bottle shape allows the pressure to reduce so that a plane
with that shape at supersonic speed actually punches a smaller hole through
the atmosphere than it measures physically.
    The rule itself determines where the coke-bottle shape is located on the
fuselage, and how deeply the waist of the coke-bottle is formed.

    If anyone knows different or has more info please let us know - I asked an
design engineer from the defunct Starship program to give me a quick'n'dirty
explanation without the numbers and jargon when I was working at
Raytheon/Beech (now Hawker/Beech).

    Chris Pile aka aircap

http://home.worldonline.co.za/~fanjet/NC-06.jpg        Beech Starship (no
coke-bottle)