Re: [Land-speed] Downforce vs Ballast Question

To: "'Rich Fox'" <v4gr@rcn.com>, "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "'lsr
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Downforce vs Ballast Question
From: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:16:17 -0400
--===============0669613040==

It is only my opinion but the way I see it we are still having a drag
race though a long one. The beauty in my eyes of aero devices that add
down force it is proportional to your current velocity so it is not
there until you need it. Mass is with you from the first foot traveled.
I think we might all agree that most that go faster at the 2 1/4 go
faster everywhere else. BTW adding weight adds drag as well and anyone
that tells you otherwise needs to buy a calculator and a couple of
books.. Run an engine on an engine dyno then put it in a car or bike and
run again on a chassis dyno. All those losses you see are not the
transmission and final drive it is the tires.. Add more weight and the
power will go down I have tested it and quite real and significant. You
also reach a point when adding weight or down force you have less
traction when you overload the tires.. So more is not better in both
cases. Usually killing lift is quite enough as a start and a modest
amount of down force if needed. A smallest vehicle to get the job done
is smart as well as we are all stuck with the same tires more or less
and the vehicle that needs the least amount of power to run a speed is
the fastest even if more power is available as the tires become the
limiting factor not what is under the hood.

Dave

2:21 PM