[Land-speed] Cutting and Fitting Braided Stainless Lines

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Cutting and Fitting Braided Stainless Lines
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:09:03 -0700
Hi Dick:

This is certainly not intended as a criticism but only offered for
additional thought about the process.  Nice idea, Dick, and thanks for
sharing. I have not heard of it before either.  I also have not seen it
listed as a "certified installation procedure" for any of the brands of
braided hose.  My concern is that the braided "joint" is partially based on
compression and friction. Anything done to lesson these two variables would
weaken the joint. Will the glue interface have any effect (good or bad)? It
might be a good idea to test the burst-strength of your method. DON'T use
compressed air, but any suitable liquid would work well. I am inclined to
think that you are LOWERING the burst-strength of the fitting. But I DON'T
KNOW without testing. If your application is low-pressure, or for cosmetic
purposes; obviously, the "glue" is a non-issue.  But if your OPERATING
PRESSURE is pushing close to the safety factors of the hose "system" you are
using, it would be well to see if your new twist (pun intended) is advised.
Thanks, again for the idea.  -Elon

(snip . . )This added step will stop the flaring of the braid.  Once you
mark your cut, if you smear the area around the cut for about a half inch in
each direction with an ample coating of super glue, and let it dry for a
minute or two before putting the tape on, you will find that once the tubing
is cut and the tape removed, the end will hold it's correct diameter
indefinitely. You may not even need to tape it, but I haven't tried that.
Dick J,   In East Texas