Re: [Land-speed] Plating

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Plating
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:56:10 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/2007 8:38:27 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

What I'm looking for, specifically, is:  Will muriatic acid, as  available
from a hardware store, strip nickel and chrome plating from  steel.  I want to
try bluing an old pistol that has a very bad chrome  job.  It's of no real
value, it's just something I've always wanted to  try, but I've got to get the
nickel and chrome (and rust) off this thing  before I can try bluing it.

DickJ

Hi DickJ

The platers reverse the DC voltage on the part they want to strip. The
chrome migrates from the part back to the chrome anode. They do the "sam tang"
for
the nickel and copper. They do this routinely when they rechrome a part, if
they do it right..... They would just hang it with their parts they're
stripping. They should pay you, they end up with the "precious metal".

I don't think Muriatic Acid would touch it unless you dipped it for a few
years! LOL If it did dissolve it, it would eat the piston up along with
everything else.

Otto