Re: [Land-speed] Trans Tail-shaft

To: saltfever@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Trans Tail-shaft
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:13:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/2007 9:38:08 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
saltfever@comcast.net writes:

Otto:  Can rollers really take the abuse in the tail shaft? Have you actually
seen  them in there? At 8,000-9,000 rpm of the 2" diameter yoke can you
imagine  the speed of the little rollers? Can they get enough lube? It might
work  for an 8 second drag race but how about 2-3 minutes of LSR?

I have seen them in a tail housing but it was in a drag tranny. I have
rollers on the cam bearings in my engine but they of course spin  at half
engine
rpm. I'm sure the engineers on the list could answer the rpm  limits of needle
roller bearings. The trans has ball bearings that spin at  engine rpm and they
hold up just fine.

Am I doing my math right? At 8,000 rpm the circumference on a  2" diameter
yoke is traveling 4,188 ft/min which is marginally acceptable.  But the tiny
1/8" rollers have to go 16 times faster. (The ratio of the  circumferences
between 1/8" and 2" diameters is 16:1)  So 16 x 4,188  ft/min is 67,000
ft/min. for the rollers. Yikes!! Or put another way, the  tiny rollers
pressing against a 2" diameter object spinning 8,000 rpm have  to travel 16
times faster.  8,000 rpm x 16 = 128,000 rpm for the  rollers.  Holly cow!!
Can they really do that? That is an incredible  rpm.  -Elon

128,000 rpm for the rollers! I've told you a million times not to
exaggerate!!! LOL

Otto