[Land-speed] Car Exiting Problems

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Car Exiting Problems
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:54:49 -0700
I'm glad someone is paying attention to this issue.  What I saw in the
tech inspection area made me v. concerned, but I didn't feel that it was
my place to interfere.  I don't understand why there is no specific time
limit to get out of the car.  In the student Formula SAE competitions, I
believe the drivers had to get out in five or ten seconds.  At least one
individual at inspection at this year's Speed Week took at least three
minutes, and even that wasn't satisfactorily performed, in my view.   I
would think that 20 seconds should be a reasonable upper limit.
To cover the liability, perhaps anyone who can't exit in the required
time and who still wants to run would be required to purchase a bond or
insurance policy with SCTA-BNI as the named insured.  I dunno, I'm not a
lawyer, but I hate to see people not able to live their dream, so I
would hope there are ways to make it work.  Maybe there is a mechanical
solution?  (Explosive fasteners, soft-ejection seats,....?)
Benn

>   Jim had experiences at Speedweek with new drivers, specifically,
older and heavier drivers who are rookies. He had several incidences of
this group during the bailout drills. The new to the sport drivers with
physical challenges appear to be a safety issue with potential legal
consequences that could put our racing in jeopardy.
>   All of these and more should be addressed by a doctor's release for
drivers over 60 maybe. Other suggestions?