[Land-speed] Packaging the driver

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Packaging the driver
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:45:41 -0700
Seems to me a bit strange that in most of our car classes we're dealing with a
body of rule constrained dimensions originally designed to carry 2 (or more)
people yet all to often can't find enough room to safely and efficiently
package just a driver alone.
IMHO the first thing anyone preparing a car for landspeed racing should think
about is the driver.  Safety for and efficient operation of this "central
control system" is #1.  We can learn a lot about this from the people who
design tactical fighter aircraft and, I'm sure, other established and by now
highly professionalized forms of motor racing.  Engines, drive trains,
streamlining, suspension.......all important.  But perfection in all of these
areas is of little use if the "central control system" fails.
Been there, seen that up close.  This year, Monday morning in impound, the
broken rocker arm and lifter, an excellent chance to set a new record lost to
what we strongly think was improper location of the tach and the resultant
accidental overrev.  The link between driver and feedback signal broken, the
system goes into a  much looser secondary mode relying on driver instinct and
audible feedbacks.  Sure the engine was on the ragged edge.  Its a rare
situation when you don't push the hardware to the limits when the record is on
the hard side.
Time to think through the check list for the next bachelor party.
Ed Weldon