Re: [Land-speed] mech FI question

To: Bernie Brown <bernien2@swbell.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] mech FI question
From: Udo Horn <vintagethunder@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:41:21 +0000
Bernie - Look at your By Pass check valve at the pump.  Make sure the ball and
spring are properly seated and that the spring has not lost its tension.  When
you start to tune around an inconsistent valve you end up in left field and
the motor will stop running if it opens prematurely.  You can troubleshoot the
valve by removing the bypass return line hose at the pump, cap the pump and
put a plug in the line.  Removal will not affect the running of the engine.
The bypass is designed  to prevent the fuel pressure from spiking the system
when the throttle is slammed shut from full throttle operation. Due to the
problems the bypass has caused I have removed it complete from my system, the
"spike" is minimal.

Udo Horn
 > From: bernien2@swbell.net> To: land-speed@autox.team.net> Date: Mon, 15 Oct
2007 21:51:03 -0500> Subject: [Land-speed] mech FI question> > I have a dyno
question. We've been running a 438BBC with Crower mech stack 2.9> in
butterfly, flowed by Kinsler, with a Kinsler barrel valve and have had very>
satisfactory results in the Big Red Truck from Tx. We tried to run it on a>
Stuska twin break dyno in July. We spent 10 days and wore out my cell phone>
with Kinsler. We would bring the engine to 4k and start to adj the initial>
hold load, go wfo and before we could touch the sweep button, the thing would>
shake,spit, and die. The plugs were always wet. Pill changes made absolutely>
no diff. Ran it with a dominater in Oct and was REALLY slow. It worked fine>
on the dyno with the carb. Are we trying to run it wrong with the fi on the>