Re: [Land-speed] Aptitude test...

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Aptitude test...
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:12:14 -0700
I guess this thread has gotten a bit long in the tooth; but I just tonight
got around to looking at it and reading everyone's comments.
I enjoyed it....
 I decided to "take it apart" and spent a couple of hours analysing the
questions.  I was able to figure my way through 49 of them but #7, the one
about direct /reverse completely baffled me as to what the test writer
meant.  Afterward looking at the correct answer I realized he was thinking
of the design of a 3 speed tranny (duhhhhh.....)  (there was a time in my
life when I could have done a scale 3 view assembly drawing of one of these
from memory)
Anyhow my score for the test writer was 76%, i.e. 12 out of 50 questions
ranging from substandard presentations to completely incomprehensible "test
to what I taught you even if I'm wrong"........
Is this what "No Child left Behind" is all about?  Here are the answers.
You will memorize them, pass the test and you will meet our educational
standards. (and get a job so you can pay taxes to keep the money flowing
into the Social Security system)
I read that Ford is doing better with the quality of their product.  I sure
hope that this test isn't a typical indicator of the quality of their
technician training.
Any of you guys that didn't do too well on the test take heart.  The person
who got us to try the test was just getting us to play on his turf according
to his own rules.  We all have had teachers at one time or another who were
just using their positions to pump their own egos. (Benn, thanks for your
warning)
Or like the California driving test questions full of confusing triple
negatives where the purpose of the test seems to be to convince you that
you're a lousy driver; but we desperately want you to drive anyway so you'll
pay more gasoline taxes, reg fees and make jobs for DMV employees.
I extracted all the questions and answers into a 1300K Word document if any
of you want to look at the questions again without retaking the test.  Email
me off list for a copy of the file.

Ed Weldon  (Cynical old coot bent on exploiting the energy of all you poor
working slugs chasing the new American dream, retirement)