Re: [Land-speed] Wiring and Fuses

To: "'James Tone'" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>, "'Dick J'"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Wiring and Fuses
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:55:26 -0700
JD;

It's a good idea to size your wire based on how much current is going to be
required in that wire. The rule of thumb is to size the wire large enough so
that it has a maximum of 0.5 volt drop (in a 12V system) at its maximum load
current.

#12 copper wire has a resistance of 1.88 ohms per 1000 ft @ 20C so every
foot of the wire adds 0.00188 ohms of resistance in series with the load. In
the case of a 20A Weldon fuel pump at the end of a 10 foot wire, the voltage
drop would be 10 ft X 0.00188 ohms/ft X 20A = 0.36 volts. So, assuming no
significant resistance in the ground return you would be fine using #12.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ