Re: [Land-speed] auxiliary power

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "john robinson" <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] auxiliary power
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:08:22 -0800
John--
A quick reading of Section 2A in the rulebook leads me to think there is no
specific prohibition against what you're suggesting. A closer reading of the
book might show something more specific.
 Not too long ago we did knock around the idea of an auxiliary engine
powering just a supercharger (I think that's what it was).  This was tried
out some decades ago in drag racing; but was outlawed by the NHRA.  I think
the general nervousness surrounding such a practice comes from the worry
about what would happen in the event of a crash, fire or major engine
failure when you've got this auxiliary energy source still doing its thing
accompanied by its own internal processes that may involve high
temperatures,pressures or kinetic energy or maybe hazardous chemicals.  Of
course this sounds like a battery might fit that category.  But the battery
is the devil we know pretty well.
If I were embarking on an Omega streamliner I'd give a whole lot of thought
to the safety aspects of the auxiliary power source and not design myself
into a corner that I could't get out of if a safety problem raised its head.
Also about the time I was starting to layout the design or commit money to
the project I'd try and get into a dialog with Roy Creel.
Ed Weldon