[Land-speed] Sorta off-sorta on-topic..turbocharging theory

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: [Land-speed] Sorta off-sorta on-topic..turbocharging theory
From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:44:48 -0700
Before I write anything I'll state my utter lack of experience with
turbochargers.  I've never worked with them at all.  So if this is a
stupid question, please chalk it up to ignorance of the whole
concept...and I'd be grateful if someone who has some real world or
theoretical knowledge can enlighten me.

I was considering the effectiveness of a turbocharger on a motor with
restrictive heads and/or small valves...and I started thinking about
the fact that a turbo pressurizes the intake side of the "air pump"
concept of a motor and could help overcome a intake restriction
problem.  But I wondered about the exhaust side.  Would it be
feasible to use another element (or set of vanes) to scavenge the
exhaust ports?  That would have to feed into the drive element of the
turbocharger...so it'd be like a big loop...almost like a perpetual
motion machine, but not quite, since there still has to be some
combustion taking place.

Then I wondered if the inertia of the exhaust side of a turbo
actually does some of this.  Could a turbo actually become a
scavenging system, sucking the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder to
be used to continue spinning of the vanes?  Sounds like a relative
pressure thing...that maybe a pump engineer (or a fluid dynamics
expert) might be familiar with.

I'm gettin a headache tryin to conceive how there might be a suction
effect at the exhaust port, yet a pressure effect on the turbo vanes
at the same time.  Maybe it just wouldn't work that way.  I think
I'll go get a glass of warm milk (ok, a bowl of ice cream) and go to bed.  :)

Ray the Rat