Re: [Land-speed] Polar Moment or KTM vs the Salt

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Polar Moment or KTM vs the Salt
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:10:39 -0800
Knowledge, time and money (KTM).  Sprinkle enough of it on your LSR project
including a measure to overcome demon randomness and you'll accomplish a
reasonable goal.

OK, Mayf pretty well outlines the big engineering problem that we all
instinctively know requires NASA (or at least Ford Motor Co.) levels of KTM
to solve.  I think most of us prefer a simpler approach that provides useful
rules of thumb rather than a lot of heavy math.  Greg Myers' anecdote about
the Wright brothers describes the way a lot of us operate.  Singular
datapoints, experiences such as Kieth and Tom describe count for a lot, too.
Simple experiments like the swimming pool test Neil suggested.  (Only a
Southland guy would suggest that this time of year) (Or are we maybe
suggstion a new Speedweek event for the motel swimming pools?)

Personally I like my idea of conning someone else into doing the work to
their own as well as our benefit.  But if that fails? ...build a scale
moving surface wind tunnel.  Will 1:25 scale produce useful results?  There
are lots of cheap plastic car models in that scale.  Or maybe larger scale?
(uh-oh!!  KTM again....)

OK, let's see...here's things to go find:

1.  6" belt sander and some kind of variable speed motor to run it.

2.  an electric leaf blower

3.  A nice little linear bearing stage to mount the body on and transmit
aero forces to a spring scale with minimum friction drag

4.  A way to accurately measure RPM's of the sander rollers and 5. below
(smells like "M"; more on that later)

5. Tiny can motors like the model train guys use in their locomotives to
turn the car wheels to match the belt travel speed.

6.  K (knowledge) relative to building a small wind tunnel and application
of the scaling factors.

7.  some kind of smoke generator?

8.  Lots of cheap plywood

9.  what else?