Re: [Land-speed] Arizona speed traps

To: <neil@dbelltech.com>, "Jon Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Arizona speed traps
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:36:08 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Redding has equipped one intersection with a camera  system  to get the red
light runners which is a growing problem here. I don't move when the green
light comes on without looking both ways and making sure the traffic is
stopping before entering the intersection. I have seen as many as three cars
go through an intersection after the red light is on.

There was a story in our paper this last week reporting on the effectiveness
of this one monitored
Intersection. According to the story, in order for you to be photographed,
you would have to be two feet behind the crosswalk when the light turned red
 There were several infractions that were thrown out (about half of the 315
photos) because of various reasons, driver's face or vehicle's license not
adequately visible, etc., or  cases that were likely not to win in the
courts for other reasons.

I think that a large factor in this red light running epidemic is driver
distraction which includes cell phones, daydreaming, and the like. We
recently had a car hit a lady on a bicycle who died from the injuries. The
driver of the car was reaching in the back seat for a baby bottle and
wandered into the bike lane. Sad, but we all do stupid things while driving.

I do support the cameras...three other intersections in Redding will be
getting cameras. According to the Police Chiefs comments about the
possibility of rear end crashes when people stop rapidly to avoid running
the light, I don't believe that yellow light duration  will be shortened
here.

Tom, Redding - #216 D/FCC

faint_grain.jpg]

imstp_pets_cat1_en.gif]