Re: [Land-speed] Rear end efficiency

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Rear end efficiency
From: John Thornton <jthorn65@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:05:26 -0600
The difference inefficiency is because of the difference in the strength.
The 9" has greater strength because it has a larger area of engagement
between the ring gear and the pinion because the pinion is located lower
down on the ring gear but the trade off is a slight increase in friction
causing a slight decrease in efficiency.
The 12 bolt has less engagement between the ring gear and pinion so it
offers less resistance but less engagement means less strength.
The 9" also offers an internal rear-pinion support for the gear end of
the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads which
detracts slightly from efficiency.
Everything I've read shows a 3.5% efficiency difference between the 12
bolt and the 9".

John Thornton