Re: [Land-speed] Tougher Turban

To: <bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>, "Landspeed" <Land-speed@Autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tougher Turban
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:18:48 -0800
I think an excellent project for a graduate engineering student would be to
design an acceptably functioning head protection gear for turban wearing
Sikhs.  I don't think it would need to meet the standards of our SA2005
helmets.  Like look at the "beanies" most states allow the Harley guys to
wear.  I stongly suspect that the shock absorbing capabilities of their
turbans may be a lot more than people realize and may even be adequete as
they are put together with nothing added.  This would be a truly useful
project to explore at the scientific level with a combination or shock
testing and structural vibration analysis.  (Yup, graduate student labor is
cheap and can provide useful information atlow cost.)  You'd be surprised at
how many engineering students are looking for interesting and useful project
or thesis subjects so they can complete their degree requirements doing
something that produces more than just a paper that no one but their thesis
advisor will ever read.  Think about that next time you have a question to
do with your racer that you can't begin to find an answer for.
By the way, these Sikh folks, if you don't know them well, are a respected
component of the immigrant community in the CA Bay area.  From my experience
they are a cut or maybe even two above most of the other immigrant groups
around here.
Ed Weldon