Re: [Land-speed] {Land-speed/Not} Fw: 1957CarShow

To: TOM M SHANNON <saltfevr@q.com>, "J.D. Tone"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] {Land-speed/Not} Fw: 1957CarShow
From: <ifixmgs@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:26:04 -0500
   I always forget to check out its parent site Jalopyjournal.com.  Some very
talented folks are posting the art and history of car crafting on the homepage.
 Those three car show movies are national rodding treasures, and I'm grateful
that they were freely shared  because otherwise a lot of us would have missed
them altogether.     The flamed Mercedes really caught my attention too - a
"ricer" a half century  before its time (minus the wing and thumpin'
stereo....)     I'll bet some guys on the field were  oogling the intake
plumbing, wondering how to bolt it to a Jimmy...

   I was only nine in '56 but  had the great fortune of a car-nut dad, and  two
working uncles with hot rods.  But  it was our next door neighbor   -  a HS
junior/  car club member with  a mild custom 53 Ford  with spotlights and front
visor  and his girlfriend Betty's name  professionally lettered on the skirts
who  took me to car shows,  and occassional races that turned me into a
gearhead.
  This morning after tending to the horses in an icy  downpour,  I plopped on
the couch, vegged out  and watched  a program (for the first time)  on Speed
called "Livin' the Low Life"    Ok, it was mostly about a curvy girl, but she
actually sounded interested and seemed to be having a lot of  fun hanging
around car guys. Some bouncers and Imps, but mostly just cool old Bombs.
Anyone seen it?    I must be  getting nostalgic in my "advanced age"....  a
couple weeks ago I started actively  looking for reasonably priced '48 Chev
Stylemaster sedan  or 50 Ford Tudor to re-live the joys of either of my first
two cars. I've got two in my sights on the HAMB right now.