Re: [Land-speed] Data Battery

To: "DougOdom" <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Data Battery
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:29:45 -0800
Doug--
Consider just a stack or AA, C or D alkaline cells to get the required
voltage and current.  At Walmart/Costco prices they'll be cheap and easy.  A
neat packaging for 4 D cells is one of those gopher repelling buzzers you
stick in the ground that is built around an aluminum tube with plastic
sealing caps.  Should stand up well in sprint car service.  Build it as a
tube in a tube setup with soft pipe insulation in-between as the vibration
isolator.  You can prepackage these battery packs as spares, attach a
pigtail with polarized connectors (like used to hook up electric trolling
motors) and easily check the level of charge with your DVM.

If still too heavy remember that all permanent magnet DC motors can act as
generators.  You'd need a simple voltage regulation circuit also and likely
a small rechargeable battery across the line as a backup.  There's some
pretty neat and compact electric motor technology in today's competition R/C
cars.  Or maybe just a small Pitman motor or can motor out of a model train
locomotive.  Of course you'll need to have some mechanical connection to the
spint car engine and this can become a reliability problem.  If the current
requirements are low enough use a fan to drive the motor, mount it inside a
good aluminum tube and just put it somewhere in the airstream out of the way
of busy hands and flying dirt clods.

To me the biggest issue is getting any of this hardware to live in the shock
and vibration environment of a sprint car and be able to handle the rough
and tumble of race preps and emergency repairs at the track.
Ed Weldon