[Land-speed] Landracing.com forum

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Landracing.com forum
From: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:57:53 -0700
OK, I'm a little confused and know it is my fault. I use to read Jon's forum
daily when it got the shiny new interface. However, I haven't visited it in
the past year due to time. I can barely keep up with this digest. A year ago
the forum was great. Great experience, great technical data, and
constructive help from all around. Now everyone says it has degraded but
this Land-speed list seems to keep plugging along. Except for a few
Otto-like deviations everyone here are pretty good friends! So why is this
list OK, and why is Jon's list not ok? What is the difference? I have been
on pilot forums and business forums. No one has bigger egos than pilots and
racers :-) The pilot forums RARELY need any moderation. The Innovate forum
is run by a business and it is thriving. The Van's RV list, run by
Matronics,is thriving. If the forum is truly gone can this list be upgraded
with modern features?  -Elon

From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>

First off, I don't want to see Jon fail at his enterprise, landracing.com.
But I said it before, on line forums and message boards are fundamentally
incompatible with the objectives of most businesses. The owner/manager
simply doesn't want to irritate his customer base so he/she thinks that the
bad stuff that shows up on the bulletin board is OK as long as it brings
customers to the store.  Wrong!!  It doesn't work.