[Land-speed] Non LSR, Rubicon Trail

To: LAND SPEED LIST <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Non LSR, Rubicon Trail
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:45:30 -0600
I've been invited to go along on a Jeep ride over the Rubicon Trail by
my brother-in-law.  He's a hard core rock crawler and did the Rubicon
last year for his first time.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the trip as to what to
take and what not to take?  I want to take my old 35 mm SLR camera
case.  It's dustproof, waterproof and should be fine for the trip.
Anything else will go in a soft duffle bag and be carried in a carrier
on top of the roll cage.

My only personal experience with the Lake Tahoe area was many years
ago, on ski trips, where we rented a house and filled every bit of
floor and deck space with sleeping bags.  I don't plan on digging the
Jeep out of four feet of snow like my last experience up there.  On
another winter trip in the 1960's driving in an Oldsmobile Toronado,
the authorities made us put chains on the tires before we could go
over I-80 between Reno and Sacramento.  When we started to put them on
the front wheels we were informed by the laughing official that they
went on the rear.  We chained up the rears and happily made it over
the pass with no problems.

Any Rubicon tips would be welcome.  It sounds like a great three day
trip.

Wes