[Land-speed] Enine Torque Theoretical Question...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Enine Torque Theoretical Question...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:50:05 -0700
Well, shoot. This did not generate as much discussion as I hoped it
would. It is definitely not a subject I am familiar with so was looking
forward to lots of interesting reasons why internal combustion engines
are not able to generate more torque past their peak torque rpm and why
that happens. Several thoughts were that VE was the limit but it is
unclear, at least to me, why that might be so. It is funny that if you
add a super charge to increas the charge air density then you can get
increaed VE but the torque still drops off anyway. I'll have to
look...maybe it doesn't drop off as much though. I did like the 'suppose
we add vortex generators in the port', that was to me thinking outside
the box.

In any case, as a discussion topic, this one rated a C- from me, lol...

mayf
Well, just sitting here wondering what to do with myself ... so I
thought I would see if I could arouse some moe conversation among the list..

The question of the week is: Why does the torque of an engine peak at
some rpm less that what the engine can turn? I am not a motoroligist so
I do not understand.  Seems to me that if you can keep the cylinders
filled and then get the compressed air fuel mix lit at the proper time,
then torque should keep going up.

Comments?

Thoughts?

Damnations?

Blasphemy?

Theories?

Conjecture?

Oh, and the question last week regarding use of the course during a
drivers course inspection... well, see rule 1.L    second paragraph. Not
allowed without permission. Under contestant conduct...

mayf, way off and far out in Pahrump
Land-speed mailing list

You are subscribed as drmayf@mayfco.com