Re: [Land-speed] Pit Shade

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>, Elon <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Pit Shade
From: <ifixmgs@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 20:15:56 -0400
We buy the black ones for hay covers and use them in the summer in place of a
solid  tarp over the
10x20 pipe-frame pitched-roof shelters that the chickens roost in.  Even when
it rains fairly hard,
only a little gets through (I assume that it has to do with the size of the
vent holes, surface
tension and a relatively low coefficient of friction that combine to sheet
water right over the
mesh holes  )  As for the heat  issue,  I haven't had any issues problems - 12
feet up in the peak
the air does gets close to  outside air temp. But even with OAT  near 100f in
August, 7 feet off the floor,
 the interior temp in the roosting shelter rarely went above 85 with a small
oscillating fan just  moving
the air around.
Mark C
Chesapeake VA