Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: land-speed submit <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:44:24 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I see it as a fundamental difference between the two engine cycles.  In
a diesel engine, you have the same mass of air at a given RPM regardless of
the position of your pedal.  No power is wasted by creating a vacuum in the
intake manifold (AKA Throttling losses).  Several companies are currently
investigating methods of eliminating the need for a throttle in a gasoline
engine.  The common way I've read about is a sort of Diesel/Otto cycle hybrid
called HCCI.  GM and Mercedes both have functional prototypes.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/222168/vauxhall_vectra_22
_hcci.html
Mike