Re: [Land-speed] alum heads on the street

To: "LandSpeed List" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Adin David"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] alum heads on the street
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:42:45 -0700 (Pacific Standard Time)
David,

This is a good topic for discussion. The problem of cooling system erosion
is not limited to aluminum heads. I remember in the 50's and 60's
particularly when I was in Southern California, that replacing freeze plugs
was a routine maintenance job. We replaced them with brass to help ward off
the a reoccurrence.

Today, this is not as great a problem since everything runs coolant (50/50
water and antifreeze). However, coolant can lose its ability to protect and
should be changed when that happens. The culprit here is electrolysis. The
cooling system becomes a battery, producing voltage which can also upset the
computer system since it uses the engine block for its grounds. A simple
check with a voltmeter can tell you if you are in an unsafe situation.

Testing for Electrolysis:
 Test with the engine running and at operating temperature. Make sure that
all engine ground Straps are in place.
 Using a digital voltmeter: Place the negative (-) lead to the battery
negative post and the Positive (+) lead into the coolant.
 A voltage reading above 0.300V can cause pinholes in the heater core in a
short amount of time.

Check these web sites for more info... http://www.4s
com/fourseasons/tech_tips/tech_tips_English/AB350_Electrolysis_02.pdf

Proper ground circuits are a must in today cars, improper grounding
accelerates the electrolysis problem.

http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail
jsp?id=154932

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC