[Land-speed] Class for Sunbeam

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Class for Sunbeam
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:27:56 -0400
Mayf

Sorry Mayf but the change of power unit - and many of the other
modifications made to the Sunbeam chassis - means you remain in Category A.

Under the FIA Category B, a Production Car is a vehicle selected off a
manufacturers production line or off the showroom floor.  Then three cars
can be 'run in' or 'broken in' for a few thousand miles under observation
before one is (or all are) chosen..  A few safety modifications are allowed
and then the records can be attempted.  Mostly these are endurance records
to show off the specification of the brand product.

If there could be agreement amongst nations as to the classification of
automobiles by types then maybe given time and patience the FIA Records
Commission might be pursuaded to create a further Category or Categories.
If the attempts are made to the FIA operating regulations then the fees
earnt might make the Paris body take some interest?  I know who the UK
representative is on the records commission, but who represents the USA?
(It was Burdett Martin of ACCUS  - may still be him for all I know).  Is
the Australian federation or national club represented?  A few years work
could see it happen (................. he says with a degree of hope not
expectation, LOL)  The late John Beckett and I kicked around some ideas but
the task will not be easy.

I am of course still here and keeping an eye on LS activity.  After the
year long period of investigation into the Jet Car training crash, during
which much speed activity seemed to be on hold, I have been tasked with
developing the energy section of the consultancy business that I work for.
No time to visit the USA for land speed activity since El MIrage in '06.
But I am now back involved in a few UK plans and in particular I need to
watch the ground conditions on the Black Rock Desert for the next 24
months.

Malcolm UK