[Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety

To: "'Doug Odom'" <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety
From: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:14:55 -0700
Doug: Good point and clarification. Some comments were referring to the
physical limits of the human body as well as the G forces attenuated by the
various devices. That information is well quantified and readily available.
Your point about lack of accelerometer  data, specific to LSR is a good one.
That is why I posted my "Accident Data Acquisition" comment today. 3 axis
accelerometers, or "black box DAQ" are becoming robust and more reasonable
in cost. Costs would still be too much for individuals but it might be
within reach of an association seeking better information than currently.
The venues you mention have already done such data collection at, I'm sure,
great expense. I am not playing " safety vs cost" or cost/benefit here or
making a criticism of any person or organization. All I'm pointing out is,
instead of passing the costs along to individual racers, there may be a
method of lowering the total DAQ cost by using a few units shared among
everybody. -Elon