Re: [Land-speed] Hydraulic Hybrids

To: Ed Weldon <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Hydraulic Hybrids
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:29:51 -0800
When I was fiddling with magnetic bearings, long ago and far away,  I
obtained some ultra centrifuge specs. Most used a hydraulic motor driven
by a 220 volt motor pump system. The quill that the rotor mounted on was
fairly small. As to those  speeds, some small turbos reach those speeds
using only journal bearings. A crash of a centrifuge or turbo at those
speeds is not something you want to be standing near when it happens,
lol.   I had plans on designing a small mag bearing centrifuge which
used a homopolar type of motor that was being developed then, by another
company,  to turn 100000 rpm directly and from 110 volts. I had designed
a carbon fiber sample holder head to withstand 1,000,000 g. Again, a
crash is significant.  A flywheel,  with an axial gap motor where
permanent magnets are mounted on the flywheel, would be a good solution
to starting and stopping. Vertical axis and then the car is always
turing around the spin axis.  The inertia motor (flywheel) would drive
the electric acceleration motors, also axial gap either on the wheels or
flywheel of the fossil motor, to some speed then assist the fossil motor
for continued down the road driving. Then on braking, the flywheel motor
spins the flywheel back to operating speed or at least a holding speed.
I had my guys fab up some stuff that coul dcoast over night at some
bizarre speeds. Some could run for more than 24 hours supporting the mag
lev system during a power outage. As with all things,  YMMV, lol. We had
several crashes and some were indeed spectacular and very dangerous.

interesting stuff. I was involved more than 25 years ago....I am sure
technology has advanced a bit.

mayf