Re: [Land-speed] Hydraulic Hybrids

To: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>, <neil@dbelltech.com>, <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Hydraulic Hybrids
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:40:04 -0800
Elon -- Piston friction where there is a plain oil film present is roughly
proportional to speed.  Add hydrodynamic films and that throws the
proportionality off.  This is pretty much the case whether it is a piston
traveling axially in a cylinder or a ring "gear" rotating in a geroter pump
outer housing.  The geroter gear is far more predictable in the ability to
develop a hydrodynamic film so can be expected to be more effficient with
respect to friction.
Ed