[Land-speed] Tire Valves

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Tire Valves
From: "Kirkwood" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:06:17 -0800
I picked up some ''special'' tire valves this afternoon from a racing tire
distributor. He said a few folks are using them on their LSR tires. I have
never seen them before and would like your comments.

The usual steel valve is inserted from the inside and has a nut screwing
everything together from the outside (with a rubber gasket providing the
seal). These valves have a 1/8 NPT (tapered pipe thread). You just tap the
rim (carefully) and then screw them in from the outside. They are high
quality Schrader tank valves. There is no rubber gasket because the pipe
thread is self-sealing. I don't think any pipe thread is completely leak
proof but the dealer said red Locktite will do the job. There is no rubber
gasket which could be a failure point. What is your experience with the high
pressure (70psi) LSR tires? Is the screw in design as strong as the other
method?  TIA  :-)