[Land-speed] A-arm and other bushings

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] A-arm and other bushings
From: "Kirkwood" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:33:49 -0800
Opps! I should have mentioned the application. Thanks to all who jumped on
this right away. I got a few great off-list comments but am replying back to
the list you will all see the same information.

The car is a 75 Chevy Monza for LSR,  race only, and never will be
streetable. My thoughts were to remove any slop in the suspension to prevent
''hunting'' at speed. However, I did talk to a famous SoCal racer a year ago
and he preferred a "loose" front end. We were discussion the benefits of a
rack and pinion steering set-up and he said he would NOT want the precision
or positive responsiveness at high speed. (He has both red and blue hats).

Since I have to rebuild the front end anyway I was thinking of machining
some aluminum bushings to replace the rubber ones in the a-frame. I am
welding up the sheet metal seams in the engine bay to add stiffness and was
wondering about those a-arms. Guys replace the OEM stamped steel with
tubular a-arms, supposedly to add stiffness, strength, and lightness.