Re: [Land-speed] NON LSR Political REMINDER

To: "Wester Potter" <wester6935@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] NON LSR Political REMINDER
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:32:21 -0700
Wes -- You're right about that one.  Both government and private enterprise
make some big mistakes (think Lehman Bros.).  My attitude toward "Cash for
Clunkers" was pretty negative for other reasons that were likely shared by
most car collectors.

Good thing we have a two party system in this country.  The other side can be
quite effective if they work at it.  But like in our own family situations all
effectiveness goes away when the two sides start screaming and throwing things
at each other.

This health care law is a big complex system full of imperfections.  It's like
the Navy just launched a brand new aircraft carrier full of new unproven
technologies. Lots of things are going to have to be tweaked during the sea
trials.  Even after the commissioning there will be lots of further
modifications as they wring out the operational effectiveness of the primary
systems.  Imagine where we would be if the US Navy were a two party system
where if one side didn't like the carrier's propulsion system and could refuse
to approve any improvements other than a total system replacement the way they
though it should be built?

Our nation needs to come to grips with some very basic issues relative to
health care.  Up til now the ending was looking untenable.

We now have a chance to work this all out.  Segments of our population that
were getting benefits far beyond what they were willing to pay for are going
to have to face reality.  Wall Street and a lot of smart medical business
entrepreneurs are going to have to expect some substantial leaning of their
cash cows.  A lot of irresponsible people are going to find that they will
have to pay for the goodies they got for free from hospital emergency rooms.
Criminals who have been bleeding Medicare are going to see their businesses
dry up.  And maybe we'll work our way through how to best handle the natural
process of our bodies wearing out without throwing massive resources into
futile efforts at prolonging life.  (this is the difficult one)

We cannot possibly do this if half of our population is at war with the other
half over what amounts to idealological positions.

Ed Weldon