[Land-speed] OT: Trailer Tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, tweecer@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Land-speed] OT: Trailer Tires
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:33:29 -0700
  The trailer I use to tow the Sunbeam to and from the salt flats, has
Maxis tires. Size is 225/75R15 Load range D.  So far I have replaced 5
of the 7 tires that came with the trailer. And for sure they do not get
much use.   All have had tread separation right at the shoulder of the
tire, ie the edge of the tread belt. I had two coming home from the salt
this year. I am kinda tire of it and truth be told there are long
stretches of highway in Nevada where help is a long way off. This
happened to be noticed at the gas station in Ely, so I was able to
secure two new ones.

So I would like to hear from those who have very tough trailer tires. I
also plan to maybe acquire 16 inch wheels if that will give me a better
range of tires. At least load range E.

Also, I understand why a trailer tire should not be used on a car or LT,
but is it ok to use LT tires on the trailer?   Seems to me it would be
ok. And what about non Radial tires?  I think the old bias belted tires
might be better for a trailer?

Comments?

mayf
Land-speed@autox.team.net