[Land-speed] Fwd: A Christmas Story You Never Heard

To: LAND SPEED LIST <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Fwd: A Christmas Story You Never Heard
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:00:10 -0700
This took place five years ago but it's worth repeating ...

> o;?
> Here's a 'today' Yule story that  occurred 3 weeks ago ~ AND NOW, in time
for the holidays, I bring you the  best Christmas story you never heard.

> It started last Christmas, when  Bennett and Vivian Levin were overwhelmed
by sadness while listening to  radio reports of injured American troops. "We
have to let them know we  care," Vivian told Bennett. So they organized a trip
to bring soldiers from  Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda Naval
Hospital to the annual  Army-Navy football game in Philly, on Dec. 3.

> The cool part is, they created their  own train line to do it. Yes, there
are people in this country who actually  own real trains. Bennett Levin -
native Philly guy, self-made millionaire  and irascible former L&I commish -
is one of them.

> He has three luxury rail cars. Think  mahogany paneling, plush seating and
white-linen dining areas. He also has  two locomotives, which he stores at his
Juniata Park train yard. One car,  the elegant Pennsylvania, carried John F.
Kennedy to the Army-Navy game in  1961 and '62. Later, it carried his brother
Bobby's body to D.C. for burial.  "That's a lot of history for one car," says
Bennett.

> He and Vivian wanted to revive a  tradition that endured from 1936 to 1975,
during which trains carried  Army-Navy spectators from around the country
directly to the stadium where  the annual game is played. The Levin's could
think of no better passengers  to reinstate the ceremonial ride than the
wounded men and women recovering  at Walter Reed in D.C. and Bethesda , in
Maryland. "We wanted to give them a  first-class experience," says Bennett.
"Gourmet meals on board, private  transportation from the train to the
stadium, perfect seats - real hero  treatment."

> Through the Army War College  Foundation, of which he is a trustee, Bennett
met with Walter Reed's  commanding general, who loved the idea. But Bennett
had some ground rules  first, all designed to keep the focus on the troops
alone:

> No press on the trip, lest the  soldiers' day of pampering devolve into a
media circus.

> No politicians either, because, says  Bennett, "I didn't want some idiot
making this trip into a campaign photo  op"

> And no Pentagon suits on board,  otherwise the soldiers would be too busy
saluting superiors to  relax.

> The general agreed to the conditions,  and Bennett realized he had a problem
on his hands. "I had to actually make  this thing happen," he laughs.

> Over the next months, he recruited  owners of 15 other sumptuous rail cars
from around the country - these  people tend to know each other - into lending
their vehicles for the day.  The name of their temporary train? The Liberty
Limited.

> Amtrak volunteered to transport the  cars to D.C. - where they'd be coupled
together for the round-trip ride to  Philly - then back to their owners later.

> Conrail offered to service the Liberty  while it was in Philly. And SEPTA
drivers would bus the disabled soldiers  200 yards from the train to Lincoln
Financial Field, for the  game.

> A benefactor from the War College  ponied up 100 seats to the game - on the
50-yard line - and lunch in a  hospitality suite.

> And corporate donors filled, for free  and without asking for publicity,
goodie bags for attendees:

> From Woolrich, stadium blankets. From  Wal-Mart, digital cameras. From
Nikon, field glasses. From GEAR, down  jackets.

> There was booty not just for the  soldiers, but for their guests, too, since
each was allowed to bring a  friend or family member.

> The Marines, though, declined the  offer. "They voted not to take guests
with them, so they could take more  Marines," says Levin, choking up at the
memory.

> Bennett's an emotional guy, so he was  worried about how he'd react to
meeting the 88 troops and guests at D.C.'s  Union Station, where the trip
originated. Some GIs were missing limbs.  Others were wheelchair-bound or
accompanied by medical personnel for the  day. "They made it easy to be with
them," he says. "They were all smiles on  the ride to Philly. Not an ounce of
self-pity from any of them. They're so  full of life and determination."

> At the stadium, the troops reveled in  the game, recalls Bennett. Not even
Army's lopsided loss to Navy could  deflate the group's rollicking mood.

> Afterward, it was back to the train  and yet another gourmet meal - heroes
get hungry, says Levin - before  returning to Walter Reed and Bethesda. "The
day was spectacular," says  Levin. "It was all about these kids. It was
awesome to be part of  it."

> The most poignant moment for the  Levins was when 11 Marines hugged them
goodbye, then sang them the Marine  Hymn on the platform at Union Station.

> "One of the guys was blind, but he  said, 'I can't see you, but man, you
must be f---ing beautiful!' " says  Bennett. "I got a lump so big in my
throat, I couldn't even answer  him."

> It's been three weeks, but the Levins  and their guests are still feeling
the day's love. "My Christmas came  early," says Levin, who is Jewish and who
loves the Christmas season. "I  can't describe the feeling in the air." Maybe
it was hope.

> As one guest wrote in a thank-you note  to Bennett and Vivian, "The fond
memories generated last Saturday will  sustain us all - whatever the future
may bring."

Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive