Re: [Land-speed] Destroking a Crankshaft...

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Destroking a Crankshaft...
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:22:03 -0500
I had a built-up/welded up stroker crank made for my nitrous bike -- and it
didn't last well at all.  I heard poor things about the welded up process
after going that way.  It wasn't a huge increase in displacement - about 18cc
per cylinder, and that would be out of about 70 or 80 mm stock.  Whatever - it
wasn't the way to go for my engine.  I then spent big (no, HUGE!!) money to
get a billet stroker crank made for me.  At that time my engine builder said
he looked hither and yon and could not find an American firm that would take
the job, and I have to presume that he did his homework and really did check
'em all out, including that one on the west coast (unh, is it something like
Marine Crankshafts - or something?).  We ended up getting the crank from
Farndon, a firm in the British westlands.  They quoted 6 - 8 ---and delivered
in about 16 MONTHS!  At a very high price, too.  The thing is running now, but
we have not sprayed when it's running, so I don't know if this one will live
or not.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Jon a/k/a SSS