Re: [Land-speed] Destroking a Crankshaft...

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Destroking a Crankshaft...
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:07:30 -0800
What displacement is your target Mayf?
Ford made 221 and 260 Windsors, but the 221 is a collectors item and 260
are almost as rare.

I would call several engine builders and see if they can help you. Given
enough money, of course,
any large machine shop could do the job. The biggest problem is finding
a set of shop blueprints
that can be used to set up the CNC equipment.

A thought, find someone who makes billet 289 cranks and see if the could
alter the CNC setup
to give you the stroke you need.

Welding a cast crank is a lost art. Back in the '60's and '70's there
were 2 or 3 guys that could do it.
As I recall. you had to keep the entire crank at around 800 or 900
degrees and then let it cool overnight.

Bryan
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html