Re: [Land-speed] New Helmet Research (Army)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] New Helmet Research (Army)
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:19:14 -0700
A couple of things I saw in the video. One is that they were talking
about impacts and then using a compression test rig to measure
deformation of the shock absorber inside. Actually it looked like a sink
sponge they were testing. Second ting is they gave no specs as to what
the Military actually ordered or what this was being compared against.
Also, I saw no testing being carried out on real hardware. Instead they
use a computer model to show how it could be better.  I would be far
happier if they showed actual impact testing on the helmet to determine
the G levels and deformations inside.  As to use in our sport? An d I am
pretty sure that out helmets do go through impact testing to determine
that  it meets what the SFI spec says.  If you are worried that your
brain bucket wont hold up, heck just put on a second head sock as that
would just about equal the 1/8 inch extra padding  they said would do
the trick.

As to filling it with corn syrup and hitting your head backwards against
the roll bar, no I am afraid that just makes the corn syrup act like a
magneto fluid and it becomes instantly solid, thusly protecting the
helmet by spattering your brain. And And hitting it backwards might
cause a time warp in the space time continuum.  You might go into a
wormy hole.

mayf