[Land-speed] Bad vibes

To: LSR LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Bad vibes
From: Don McMeekin <landspeed@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:03:46 -0400
Anyone silly enough to cut an engine in half should probably expect
to encounter some "unusual" problems along the way. During a recent
dyno pull, our half Windsor (3 liter inline four) sheared off all six
Locktite secured 7/16" ARP flywheel bolts, and almost welded the
flywheel to the crank. Seems that we have a harmonic vibration
problem that has created more force than our system can tolerate.
So.......... we probably need to strengthen the parts and reduce the
"bad vibes".

The most obvious action would be to strengthen the parts by
increasing the bolt diameter, adding some dowels, and making sure
that everything fits. Reducing the the force could be a little more
difficult.  The balancer (cheapo fluid type) is clearly not up to the
task and should to be upgraded to something more in tune with this
engine's harmonic characteristics.  I really don't have any
experience in this area and would  greatly appreciate any thoughts
that list members would care to share.

                  Thanks, Don
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html