[Land-speed] Belly pan minimum height or clearance

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Belly pan minimum height or clearance
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:28:31 -0700
This winter is looking good for accomplishment on my long term car building
project.  And possibly producing a change in direction.  So I'd like to pick
some experienced brains on the above subject.
What's the practical minimum belly pan clearance at both Bonneville and El
Mirage?
To keep this from being a too broad a question let's assume:
1. Approx. 120" wb and minimal overhang on each end.
2. Belly pan material .050" aluminum probably 1/2 hard temper (as opposed to
1.4" steel armor plate)
3. Tow to line and back to the pits (no special trailers but possibly a
temporary frame lifting hitch on the tow vehicle.)
4. Reasonable accommodations in the trailer setup for loading and unloading
(in other words the trailer will be set up for whatever the car requires which
sounds to me like open in the middle between the ramps)
5.  Oh yeah; 27T body modified roadster with moderate HP engine.  I'm figuring
on the pan being flat against the bottom of the frame back to the rear axle
with only jacking points exposed.
I'd sure appreciate comments from those of you who have been there and done
that and most importantly have a pretty good memory of what your actual
measurements were and what kinds of course/return road surface hazards gave
you trouble.
Sure would appreciate any wisdom you guys can offer...........Ed Weldon
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums