Re: [Land-speed] Belly pan minimum height or clearance

To: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Belly pan minimum height or clearance
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:27:32 -0700
Thanks, Neil -- I'd like to get closer than that if I can but I'm not
hopeful.  My belief is that every inch of ride height in that low range is
that times the body width increase in effective frontal area.
There is a small school of thought relative to roadsters that says raising
the body off the ground begins to pay off at some point; maybe 8 to 10
inches.  That's a direction I don't want to go in for a number of reasons.
Good tip on pan reinforcement.  In addition to attachment points around the
perimeter several dimples in the middle of the pan for rivet heads on
attachments of inside brackets to frame crossmembers should take care of
that issue.  (Note to self:  Mark the related fasteners and brackets with
bright red paint)
Ed Weldon