Re: [Land-speed] Definition of "Cowl"

To: "dan warner" <dwarner230@yahoo.com>, <drmayf@mayfco.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Definition of "Cowl"
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:20:50 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1379020865; bh=or6Z+G9kGkzHqa2/7IZBWsAoejrIqqamCUBeOxTtDK8=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=dzMhQ/ou7tj4L98WZgf0/1sGLhzrU632bzQ4+pMdxHY1+WB8PEryASozh2ENVMG84 1Huf5hSsJFa6nhl3+DgXrW2twfGF6OGD4b3xK8ISyVSfq53bQpYbHaVdxE7GD5fTju RD6mNBAgTygHfyekhj9VwJxaSalbHOU4x5m0I/B626OdQbTrvyg6imIuRZmG0FiQsA 1Z8nd3OPgAYV3/DgnBQpdNjscuumogqVvSKeGf4n+bGkGBlM6EUV7J+/hbeDr+AfBK npSwwfOnla8+IdhUPbPYYkijthxn+wFVNY5Pakxr26jolfhAx4noGdXvp7foGD0ZOZ X8QYUA4JjbZww==
Dan - I wouldn't begin to suggest that a definition like mine be made part of
the rulebook.  That's what we have vehicle type committees for.  These are the
folks who are best equipped to deal with the minutia of production vehicle
modifications and get competitors in their category all on the same page.  It
helps the committee chair to have a definitive answer to such a question
rather than be an arbitrary judge (I know a cowl when I see it)
That's the best way to keep the incidence of protests down low.  Which I like
to think is what everybody wants.
About cowls...... We all know what a cowl is on a Model A roadster.  At least
if we have gray hairs.  So where is the cowl on a Porsche?  I don't even have
an answer for that.
Over the years there have been many questions and discussions about roadster
cowls.  When I had a question that wasn't answered by the rule book I went to
Russ Eyers and got a good authoritative answer.  That method worked great.
What we don't need is a rule book that's a thousand pages long.  Small enough
to fit in my back pocket is just fine.  Even if it's a little tight in there
that's OK as long as the extra volume is devoted to advertisements from our
sport's supporters.
Ed Weldon