Re: Rechrome or Repro?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rechrome or Repro?
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 22:56:34 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/98 5:35:43 PM !!!First Boot!!!, edunn757@ix.netcom.com
writes:

> I would always prefer to go original. My experience is the chrome repros
>  currently sold, are far inferior to the real thing. Frustratingly as
>  well, the large multi-make catalog supplier, who'se dealers attend most
>  meets handing out those catalogs, privately admitted to me that their
>  chrome was terrible. I since only buy (as a rule...) from Abingdon
>  Spares LTD., in New Hampshire...

But don't all these vendors get their parts from the same places? I can't
believe there are multiple companies tooled up to make, say, head light rims.
I agree that the original parts are superior. Also a good chrome shop can do a
better chrome job than original, then you really have a great part!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336