Wheel Wobble TC - 19" wheels(a little long)

To: TABC List <T-ABCs_Forever@publi-consult.com>, mg-t@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Wheel Wobble TC - 19" wheels(a little long)
From: syd saperstein <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:27:20 -0700
Calling all wheel/hub experts. Help desired with sorting out
the source of a wheel wobble.

I had the wheels trued a few weeks ago before the GOF West.
Had new Firestones put on and off we went.  At each stop one
of the other drivers in our caravan would sidle up to me and
say, "I' thjought you'd like to knowyou have a wobble a
wobble in your right rear wheel."  After about 5 or 6 such
comments, I was prepared with the old "Yeah, I know, I'll
have to have to getbthat checked out when I get home."  So,
I went home and checked things out..wheel is pretty true
when off the car.  Put back on tightened down a little more
and forgot about it until this past weekend run to Bolinas,
CA (Beeeutiful Day, Great roads, Fabulous scenery!)  So I
get there and the nice fellow who was behind me in the TC
caravan on those great twisting coastal roads sidles up to
me and says, "I thought you'd like to know that I noticed a
wobble in your right rear wheel."  Yeah, " I said shrugging
it off outwardly while my heart sank anew, "I'll have to get
it checked out when I get home." Ugh!

While on the way home no less than 4 drivers of Ford
Explorers, Chevy Cavaliers, and a '53 stakeside flatbed with
furniture and two mattresses I would not sleep on, tooted at
me and then leaned out to shout.."Hey, buddy, I thought youd
like to know your right rear wheel has a wobble in it!" Is
there no place I can hide?! By the last greeting, I was able
to lip-synch their words right along with them. Which, I am
sure they thought was a very ungrateful and irreverant
response on my part.

So I get home and take the offending wheel off and up to the
wire wheel guy.  I watch as he puts it on his machine and
gives it a spin.  It has a little run-out..maybe 1/16".  Not
bad.  He says leave it and he'll remove as much of that as
he can.   I do, he does, and I pick it up on the way home
from work.

Tonight I put it on and give it a spin...The wobble is still
there...maybe 3/8 - 1/2" runout.!
The hub turns true.  The wheel turns true on the shop
machine, but when put on the car, the wobble is still there.
All I can detect is that the space between the brake drum
and the outer edge of the inner wheel lacing flange could
have as much as 1/32 - 1/16" variation from closest to
furthest from the brake drum.  Could that translate to 3/8
to 1/2" at the wheel rim or tire?  Why would that nor show
up at his shop?  Is there something wrong with the bevel on
my hub?  Is the wheel bumping up against the studs that hold
the brake drum? Doesn't look that way. All suggestions
gratefully accepted.

TTFN
TCSYD